Thursday, May 19, 2016

Activation Report: SOTA W6/NC-151

Today's activation of Mount Vaca was probably one of the easiest that I'll have in the course of my SOTA activities. I was able to drive to within 100 yards or so of my activation point on the summit. The road up Mix Canyon is very steep, winding, and narrow, but at least it's paved. There are multiple radio tower sites strung out along the ridge line, including several of the region's most popular ham radio repeaters. Fortunately, they didn't seem to interfere much with my operation.

One of my goals has been to log contacts on some of the bands that don't see much SOTA activity in this region, specifically 6 meters, 1.25 meters, and 70 centimeters (FM). I am happy to report that I logged contacts on each of these bands today. Granted, there was only one QSO per each band (and two of those were with the same chaser); it was quite satisfying to hear someone on the other end, though. Elliott, K6EL, in San Francisco, answered my call on 52.525 MHz (and also on 146.520, later). Dave, WB6DTB, in Oakley, was kind enough to follow me over from 446.000 to 223.500. Nine QSOs on 2 meters (146.520) made up the balance for a total of twelve.

I used my Yaesu VX-6R on 2 meters and 70 centimeters, a Wouxun KG-UV5D on 6 meters, and a TYT TH-UVF9 for my 1.25-meter contact. As an experiment, I tried my homebrew portable 2-meter antenna on 6 and 1.25 meters and it seemed to work well. I used a Maldol MH-510 whip for 70 cm.

The most distant contact was with Steve, KK6BNJ, approximately 70 miles to the southeast in Jenny Lind. I find this somewhat remarkable because I was situated just over the edge on the west side of the summit, with two very large (active) radio towers between us.


Looking east, toward the Sacramento Valley

Looking west, with Lake Curry below

Far to the south, Mt. Diablo sticks out through the haze.

Looking north, with one of the numerous radio sites

Portable station KK6ZLX. The homebrew antenna gave a stellar performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment