Saturday, December 17, 2016

Activation Report: SOTA W6/CC-063

Today I went to the summit of Mount Tamalpais, in Marin County across the Golden Gate from San Francisco, intending to attempt a "summit-to-summit" contact with my friend Andrew, VK1AD, who was activating Mount Stromlo (VK1/AC-043) in the Australian Capital Territory. Much to my chagrin, I left my freshly-charged 12-volt battery sitting on the kitchen counter at home and was unable to work any HF. It was also a little embarrassing, as a father and his two young sons were watching me set up my rig in hopes of seeing me operate my radio. It was a little awkward for all of us when I realized what I had done.

I had brought a handheld FM radio (a Yaesu VX-6R), however, and was at least able to log 9 contacts on the 2-meter band (146.520 MHz FM) and qualify for an activation of the summit.


Looking South from Mt. Tamalpais
Looking south, with San Francisco in the distance.

Looking South-Southwest from Mt. Tamalpais
The Pacific Ocean, over which I had hoped to talk to VK1AD.

Mt. Tamalpais
The summit of the east peak of Mt. Tamalpais, as seen from below.

No comments:

Post a Comment