Thursday, March 17, 2016

My First "Real" Contact

I got my Technician ticket about three months ago (December 18). Other than a couple of net check-ins, etc., I've mostly just been listening.

On February 1, I made what I consider my first "contact" (non-repeater, non-ragchew). I have the 2-meter, 1.25-meter, and 70-cm FM simplex calling channels programmed into my handheld and scan them along with the various repeater frequencies. I was startled to hear someone on 146.520 for the first time since I got my license. It turned out to be a ham on Mt. Diablo looking for Summits-on-the-Air (SOTA) contacts. On top of that, he was KK6ZLY--the next sequential callsign after mine! I exchanged information with him, then he moved on to his next contact. After making my first real log entry, I went to the SOTA website, registered, and got my first two SOTA points. By the way, we were both using 5-watt handhelds (indoors, in my case).

Although we were less than 40 miles apart, it felt great responding to a real "CQ" and making a direct (simplex) contact over the airwaves; that, to me, is the essence of what I'm looking for in amateur radio.

4 comments:

  1. I think your next goal is to get on a mountain and start making as many contacts as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That, and to get my General Class license.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your first SOTA chase. There is no known cure for the SOTA bug :)

    Cheers

    Andrew VK1AD

    ReplyDelete