Sunday, March 13, 2016

Radio #4: Wouxun KG-UV5D

Wouxun KG-UV5D
This 5-watt handheld is my latest acquisition. It operates on the 6-meter and 2-meter bands (50 MHz and 144 MHz, respectively). It is shown here fresh out of the box with the stock antenna. I bought two new antennas for this radio: a flexible, 20.5-inch Maldol MH-510 tribander (6m/2m/70cm) and a 45.5-inch 50MHz telescopic.

With this acquisition, I am now able to operate on four different bands with just two handhelds--this one and the Yaesu VX-6R. The TH-UVF9 and UV-5R may soon be declared redundant and sold off.

2 comments:

  1. I too am a long time fan of wouxon
    I had the UV1DP in 2m/440 & 2m/220 but sadly sold them a few years ago
    I just ordered this one today for my 6M VT Allstar node

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I took so long to respond to your comment!

      I hate to admit that I have not used this radio very much. I have made a couple of 6-meter contacts during SOTA activations though. It does seem to be a quality radio.

      Delete