Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Radio #1: Baofeng UV-5R

Baofeng UV-5R

This was my first handheld transceiver. I won it on eBay for $32. After realizing that I needed an FCC license to be able to anything more than just listen to it, I finally had the motivation I needed to go out and get my Technician Class ticket (discovering that the Morse Code requirement was gone helped, too).

The radio is programmed for the 2-meter and 70-centimeter bands. Optional accessories seen in the photo include an authentic Nagoya NA-701 VHF/UHF antenna (tuned for 144/440 MHz) and a larger, 3800 mAh extended life battery.

I have heard and read many disparaging remarks about this and other low-price Chinese radios. I really have no complaints, though, especially considering the price. It seems to perform well, so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment