Sunday, July 10, 2016

2-Meter J-Pole Base Station Antenna

This the first phase of a project to erect a VHF antenna outside my ham shack. The antenna itself is a KB9VBR J-Pole, tuned for the 2-meter band (144 MHz); it is claimed that it also works pretty well at 70 cm (440 MHz). For a mast, I mounted it to the end of a 1-inch diameter, 10-foot long galvanized pipe; the antenna itself extends approximately 5 feet above the top of the mast.

My ham shack is going be located in a room above a detached garage to the rear of our house. I plan to strap the mast to a 4x4 post at the corner of the landing at the top of the exterior stairs. The landing is +/- 10 feet above the ground, with the peak of the roof 10 feet above that. Mounted on the landing, the antenna will extend approximately 25 feet into the air, above the roof.

I have read many positive reviews for the KB9VBR J-Pole; after reading them and watching some YouTube videos about it, I'm expecting good results when my shack is finally up and running.

2-Meter J-Pole Antenna
2-Meter J-Pole Antenna
My starter base station rig will consist of a Yaesu FT-857D transceiver (which I also intend to use for portable SOTA work) with an MFJ-4125 switching power supply and an LDG Z-11 Pro II antenna tuner for the 6 through 160-meter bands.  I'm still pondering the best HF antenna (for the long-distance "DX" contacts) for my situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment