Thursday, April 28, 2016

SOTA W6/NC-422, Pt. 970, Activation Aborted (and Plan B, as well)

Things just didn't go my way today.

When I got to the entrance of Lynch Canyon Open Space (where the trailhead is located), the gate was locked; it seems that the park is only open Friday through Monday.

Using the "Nearby" function in the handy SOTA Goat app, I discovered another SOTA summit approximately two miles south of my location: W6/NC-406, Sulphur Springs Mtn., located on public parkland in Vallejo. I did some quick research to try and determine the best way to access it. It appears that a trail from the west, originating in Blue Rock Springs Park in the city of Vallejo proper, leads to it, although I was unsuccessful in getting there. Either the trail I was on continued far to the north of Sulphur Springs Mtn. before rounding a hill and heading back southeast to it, or I was on the wrong trail. Either way, by 3 p.m. I was running out of time and gave up for the day. Upon further research (reading a blog post by a previous SOTA activator--which I should have done at the beginning), I learned of another (apparently much shorter) trail that approaches from the east side in the Hiddenbrooke subdivision.

Although I am disappointed that I was unable to activate today, I now have two nearby summits on my wishlist for the near future: Pt. 970 (still) and Sulphur Springs Mtn.

No comments:

Post a Comment