Saturday, June 11, 2016

The Excitement Builds

My new Yaesu FT-857D arrived today! Added to my successfully passing the General Class exam, it was quite a day.

I'm in the process of deciding what accessories I need--power supply, antenna(s), etc. I already have an LDG Z-11 ProII antenna tuner on the way. In addition to operation at my home QTH, I see myself using it for SOTA activations--expanding into the realm of single sideband (SSB), in addition to the FM operations that I plan to continue.

I welcome any and all suggestions regarding additions to my rig that might enhance my operating enjoyment, both at home and on the mountaintops.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Steve an excellent all band radio for SOTA and a good entry radio for use at your home QTH. For SOTA HF I recommend starting with a 40m inverted V dipole then as your experience develops incorporate additional links for other bands. On 10m the J-Pole antenna is a good choice for field work. Antennas are the one variable where you get to make a decision about the efficiency and performance of the antenna. Don't fall the 'hype' claimed by some antenna manufacturers.
    Cheers
    Andrew VK1AD, in Austria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice Andrew. I'll definitely take it into consideration. By the way, I noticed two visits from "Eugendorf, Salzburg" in my live traffic feed; now I know who it was! I've enjoyed following your adventures in Europe.

      Delete
  2. When I return to Australia in 2 weeks, I will forward to you the best menu setting options for SOTA field work. If you are interested in a 'value for money' investment, then I recommend purchasing the MH-598AJ microphone.
    Cheers,
    Andrew VK1AD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks in advance. I look forward to getting the information from you. There are so many different options that it can be a bit overwhelming.

      Delete